Wednesday, January 9, 2013

so long cheeseburgers...

Welp. I never thought this time would come, but here I am writing my very first blog post. The plan is to document this trip by writing in this blog regularly. Of course, most of you who know me know that I rarely remember to do things regularly. Therefore, that term is used loosely. All I can promise is that I will do my best to keep this blog relevant and entertaining (please, someone scream at me if this gets mundane). You'll also see that I'm going to include a few bullets of what I've learned at the end of  every post. Mostly so that I can remember them, but also so that if you think I blabber too much you can just scroll to the bottom of every post.

So I suppose I will start by describing my last day in the U S of A. I basically drove around town all day running my last errands blasting one of my super weird made-for-the-car CDs that was half Passion Pit, half Michael Buble ( had to change it to the radio when "Home" came on. Not the time Michael). It went like this: buy luggage locks... get eyebrows waxed... (call me ignorant but who knows what a swiss brow wax would look like, let alone cost!) ... all while trying to soak in everything American around me. That means I ate Yorgo's for breakfast, Jimmy John's for lunch and stopped at Tropical Smoothie sometime before dinner. I have been rationalizing my high amount of unhealthy meals for the past two weeks (chicken quesadillas and queso dip at La Herradura... Cook Out... TACO BELL) by telling myself "Lindsay, you're not going to have this in Europe".  With that being said, if anyone knows of a place that sells queso in or around Lugano for less than like 20 swiss francs, please contact me.

Once I got home, I finished packing/rearranging items until both bags were under 50 lbs and realized three hours later that I had completely lost track of time. This was probably because I was talking to Mary on the phone and didn't notice until I put her on speaker and looked down at my phone that we were approaching two hours of air time (sorry Verizon bill... not sure how this whole not having a phone thing is going to fly for the next four months...). I hung up and ventured downstairs to find my entire family! Mom, Dad, Erin, John, Ashley, Grandaddy and even Chuck, our brotha from anotha motha who we don't get to see that often because he's like a ninja and does secret stuff for the military or something. Three servings of steak and potatoes later, I found myself dancing around my living room like an idiot with my sister to whoevers iPhone was plugged in all whilst almost being nailed by a passing ping pong ball (Grandaddy has one hell of a serve). It's safe to say that I will miss my family more than anything.

I am now looking around my room thinking in my mind "oh! maybe I should have packed that!" and then slapping myself in the face. I can't stop thinking of how thankful I am to be able to take this journey and how many people worked hard to make it happen. I know that I can't let them down. That is why I resolve to say "yes" as much as possible and try to soak in everything around me. I have no idea what to expect, but that just makes this that much more exciting.

Woah I just typed kind of a lot. I'll work on that. Next time you hear from me, I'll likely be in Switzerland! LATER SKATERS



linds



No comments:

Post a Comment