Thursday, January 24, 2013

the larger lessons


There are a million little things that you learn throughout the day while studying abroad. You see that cars are smaller, fashion is important, food is fresher. Then you notice slightly bigger things- aspects of the culture that, if you were at home, would come completely naturally to you. Street signs, road names, locations of information - suddenly you have to search for them. It takes traveling and experience, however, to learn the bigger lessons. And while I've only traveled around Europe for about ten days, I felt the need to write down these bigger lessons as to not forget them in the future.
In our consumer behavior class, we are taking a closer look at the dynamics of motivation, and more specifically, the nature of goals. We learn from our textbook that upon failing to complete a goal, one becomes frustrated. When people cannot cope with this frustration, they use various defense mechanisms (aggression, rationalization, regression, withdrawal, projection, repression, etc.) to protect their self image and perhaps more importantly, their self esteem.
Enough with the marketing spiel. I'll get to the point. Basically the biggest lesson I have learned so far (above learning of basic phrases, common customs, the art of catching connecting trains) is controlling the frustration that comes with not completing a goal. I have been tossed across the big pond and given a few tips and tricks that have aided me in dealing with my foreign situation. Regardless, while I am here, I will continue to make wrong decisions that keep me from completing my goals. The trick is to take these obstacles and not let them, for lack of better words, turn me into a crazy person. I'm going to miss a train here and there. A lack of knowledge is going to cause me to waste money and time, thus restraining my ability to meet my goals concerned with traveling on a budget.
Over the next four months, I vow to simply take these experiences and digest them. I will not pout or whine or regret. I will comprehend the lesson laugh, and learn. I also vow to observe and constantly take in my surroundings. I vow to record these observations in my journal and in this blog and use them as reference in the future. I vow to wake up every morning excited to live and learn.
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I feel fortunate to have learned this early. I know that it doesn't make me any less naïve, but I do believe it's a start. I can not fathom the number of and types of lessons that are out there waiting to be taken in.
Tomorrow we leave for another weekend in a foreign country so stay tuned. Munich, here we come!


Linds

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Linds, you are amazing! I adore you and I can't wait to chat over a good cup of coffee (you will appreciate good coffee more now) and hear your stories. You have always been a breath of fresh air ~ now you are living in some of the very freshest air on the planet and you are obviously taking the time to breathe it all in! I love you my dear!
    xoxoxox,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, You have to learn to move like the Europeans, slow and calmly. I learned that on all my trips to Italy; as long as I act like an American, I will be stressed and act like a crazy person. As soon as I started to act like a European, take my time, think things out, move a bit slowly and take it all in over a nice cup of coffee while sitting wherever..I then and only then started to relax and everything fell into place, even my money reserve!! Ciao and keep writing, Love the Blog..

    ReplyDelete